Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Creative Mastermind for Week 9/9: Dominic Mazzoni and Roger Dannenberg

Well this is embarrassing.... I wrote up the Creative Mastermind for this week last night and apparently never pressed the "Publish" button. Go ahead readers, laugh at my poor ability to forget to hit a button! I already did! But hey I have your post all ready for you and if you can see this, well then you'll know this time I did actually press the "Publish" button. Sorry for the delay, but I hope you enjoy the read.

Hello wonderful Creative Cabana readers!!! If you happen to be in my part of the world (aka Columbus, Ohio, United States) where it's currently humid and about 93 degrees outside, then I hope you're staying cool and refreshed. Besides what better way to relax that right here at the Cabana where you can read about everything creative! So who has been given the great honor of Creative Mastermind for this week? The answer is the creators of the multimedia application Audacity, Dominic Mazzoni and Roger Dannenberg.



For those of you who may not be familiar with this program, Audacity is a free application used for editing audio recordings and creating basic soundtracks for your media projects. It's not quite as advanced as other industry standard programs like ProTools or GarageBand. However, Audacity gives you the free and easy access to edit your audio recordings using basic edit tools and other options. I first learned about this awesome and unique program during my freshmen year of college. As you might recall from my Who Am I? page, I studied Electronic Media Production in school so often times I would be out with my recording device getting different sounds, interviews, and other audio clips for my radio show. I learned how to use Audacity in my early college classes and used it to do my basic edits from the comfort of my dorm room- Hey, studio access wasn't always available, so it was nice to me able to do some of the work remotely!



Dominic Mazzoni and Roger Dannenberg are credited with the development of this program and since it's release back in 2000, Audacity has become a very popular educational tool throughout world. It offers the flexibility to do basic audio edits, while offering users the capability to learn about edit styles, features, and audio tricks that are common throughout the media production industry. I've used Audacity to help restore some of my music files. You know where you'll have song files like WAV or WMA that won't work on your Ipod or take up too much space? Audacity is perfect for converting those files into a simple MP3 file for easier playback and uses less space. You can also create multi-track mixing for ultimate DJ effects and create your own master mix.

I really enjoy the Audacity appliciation because it's easy-to-use, great flexibility for audio editing, and yes it's FREE! So hats off to Mr. Dominic Mazzoni and Mr. Roger Dannenberg for giving the world the ability to master the mixing of sound! Their talents and creative concepts for developing Audacity have given them the title of Creative Mastermind of the Week! Congratulations guys!

***Don't forget: If you have someone or something in mind that would make an excellent candidate for Creative Mastermind of the Week, please let me know in the comments.

*Images used are pulled from Google Images. Audacity is a free application tool open to the public, however the name and program design is credited to Dominic Mazzoni and Roger Dannenberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment