Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Creative Mastermind for Week 9/23: Amy Grant's "Helping Hand"

Good Day to you wonderful Creative Cabana readers!

It's Wednesday, which means we're halfway through the week already and even more so can you believe September is almost over? Geesh! Where does the time go? Speaking of timing I'd like to share with you a message regarding this week's Creative Mastermind post. I had the original intent of posting the Creative Mastermind on Monday evening, but hit what's known as "Writer's Block." If you're not familiar with this concept, it's a case of where your mind draws a blank and doesn't really know what to write down. So I figured I'd think about it overnight with the intention of having a great idea to post on Tuesday. Plans changed and they changed my way of thinking quite a bit.

Yesterday I witnessed something that I had never seen with my own eyes before. I actually saw a car crash in action in front of me. No, I was not the one involved, but I witnessed it first hand. In Columbus, we have these structures called Roundabouts which are circle-shaped intersections for traffic usage. In theory they are supposed to make traffic quicker and safer for drivers. I disagree, but that's just me. Anyway while I waited my turn to enter the roundabout an SUV coming around the curve hit a smaller car that was entering the roundabout on my left side. It happened so fast I couldn't believe what I just saw. Granted it didn't take long for me snap back to reality as the driver behind me started to honk at me for not continuing on with traffic. At first I started to continue down my usual route, but my conscious got the best of me and I quickly turned around to go back. I pulled my car off to the side away from traffic and ran to the victims to make sure they were ok. One was younger girl, I'd say early 20s driving the smaller car, but the other lady was in her 30s or possibly 40s who was in the SUV. The younger girl was clearly scared, but appreciative that I came back to make sure no one was hurt. I can't say the same for the older lady who was quick to blame the other girl for the accident. I'm not exactly sure who was at fault, but I assured them that I only came back to make sure they were alright. Once I realized both ladies were ok, I gracefully made my exit and proceeded on home. During my drive back a song came on that reassured me what I did was the right thing. It was called "Helping Hand" by Amy Grant. Click Here to listen to this amazing song!

Amy Grant is one of my favorite artists hands down from her contemporary christian music to her upbeat 90s hits like "Baby Baby" or "Every Heartbeat". This song was purely ironic and inspiring! One of things I find creative about "Helping Hand" is that it's very interpersonal. She sounds as if she is singing her thoughts- "Take a look at your fellow man, and tell me what can I do today?". The music is very simple, no fancy orchestra, or complex music composition, just a basic beat with some drums and keyboarding. Towards the end you get a chorus background singing with Amy Grant which I think symbolizes people coming together to offer that "Helping Hand". She starts out alone and as the song progress more music and singing is involved with the message.

I deem Amy Grant as this week's Creative Mastermind for her song "Helping Hand" because this is one of the few songs I know that doesn't so much focus on themselves in a relationship, or cheating on someone, etc. Instead it asks "What can you do to help someone?". Instead of making the song about "me" or "you", it focuses on "everybody" and coming together to build friendships and make the world a better place. It's creative as to how the song is portrayed as well. Every time I hear "Helping Hand" I feel as though I'm actually having a conversation with Amy Grant herself. In many songs the idea is behind a story, or a specific emotion the artist is battling with. In this particular song, it's more of a message and conversation piece where someone is saying here's what wrong and here's what you should do to help. I know other songs similar to "Helping Hand" that also portray these kinds of messages, but this song just strikes me instantly. It's especially ironic to me how this came on in my car after I gave a "helping hand" to the victims of the car accident. So congrats to Amy Grant and her wonderful song "Helping Hand".

If you'd like to lend a helping hand to The Creative Cabana then make sure you follow the cabana on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Just search "Creative Cabana" or check out the Connect With Me page for instant access!

* Image of musician Amy Grant was pulled from a search in Google Images. The songs "Helping Hand", "Baby Baby" and "Every Heartbeat" are the sole property of Amy Grant and respective songwriters. Usage of video links through YouTube are credited to respective account holders and content is property of Amy Grant. Article linked regarding the term "Roundabout" is credited to Wikipedia and was used only for educational purposes. No copyright infringement intended! 

No comments:

Post a Comment